Three days until the first day of classes — how are you killing time?
Forget spending all day in your room. NC State’s planned a ton of things to do as part of Wolfpack Welcome Week. So stock up on the free t-shirts, plastic cups, and trinkets.
Welcome Week 2015 highlights
Wolfpack Welcome Week is the best time for new students to get acquainted with campus, and for the veterans to stock up on more free stuff.
Bring your student ID, get to know your roommates, and take time to tour campus while you’re still on summer break. Here are some things you can expect from this year’s Welcome Week at NC State.
Monday, August 17th | 2 PM – 4:30 PM
If you’re a freshman or new transfer student, NC State’s convocation is Monday afternoon. Your academic adviser may require you to attend, but even if it’s optional, I’d recommend attending. Convocation starts off with student group performances, a true pep rally, and the traditional class photo on the floor of PNC Arena.
Start the year (and football season!) off right by learning the words to “Red and White” and the Alma Mater from NC State’s cheerleaders, dance team, and The Power Sound of the South.
The speaker is usually the author of your Common Reading book, so this year Jay Erskine Leutze, author of Stand Up That Mountain, is giving a talk about his work.
Don’t forget your free t-shirt and author book signing!
WKNC Concert on the Lawn
Monday, August 17th | 5 PM – 7 PM
The student radio station, 88.1 WKNC, kicks off the school year with a free concert on Harris Field. Listen to local tunes grown right here in North Carolina and expand your music palate with this quintessential NC State experience.
Commuter Student Welcome
Tuesday, August 18th | 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Make new friends with fellow commuter students as you tour NC State college open houses before the first day of class. You’ll learn about ways to stay involved on campus while chowing down on free pizza.
Friday, August 21st | 9 PM – 1 AM
Head to Talley ballroom for one of the most popular Welcome Week events. Dueling DJs blast their music through your headphones so you can dance the night away with your suitemates and friends.
Feel free to switch between channels and bob to the beat of your own experience. You don’t want to miss out!
Saturday, August 22nd | 2 PM – 10 PM
A relatively new tradition, Packapalooza shuts down Hillsborough Street traffic and opens the street and sidewalk to information booths, fun activities, and free stuff!
Highlights of the all-day block party include live music at three different stages, cultural activities like calligraphy and Vietnamese games, a video game truck, and water fun at the Play Zone.
Catch the headlining show from The Wolfpack Hip Hop Time Machine with Rhapsody and 9th Wonder, Petey Pablo, Nappy Roots, Terminator X and DJ DVS
What’s free: poster signings, live music, dance performances, photo booths, rock wall climbing, and more!
NC State College Open Houses & Club Social Events
Looking for your niche at NC State? Check out the free activities and social club events.
Monday, August 17th
- OIED Campus Community Centers open house | 10 AM – 12 PM
- NC State libraries welcome back info booth | 11 AM – 2 PM
- Life’s Little Dramas: Puppets, Proxies, and Spirits | 4 PM – 6 PM
- Diversity Breakfast After Dark | 10 PM – Midnight
- Moonlight Howl & Run | Midnight – 1 AM
Tuesday, August 18th
- Campus Connections | 10 AM – 1 PM
- Student media open house | 10 AM – 2 PM
- NC State Hearts Transfers | 12 PM – 1:30 PM
- College Connections | 1 PM – 5 PM
- Paddling & Popsicles | 2 PM – 5 PM
- Behind the scenes at Gregg’s collection facility | 4 PM – 6 PM
- Crafts Center open house & pottery sale | 4 PM – 6 PM
- University Theatre open house | 4 PM – 6 PM
- Chillin’ and Grillin’ with IRC and IFC | 5 PM – 7 PM
- Fiddler on the Roof audition orientation | 6 PM – 8 PM
- Mind/Body Mix | 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, August 19th — First Day of Classes
- PACK the Lawn Party | 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
- Mi Placita (My Little Plaza) | 12 PM – 2:30 PM
- Career Development Center open house | 2 PM – 5 PM
- Welcome Back, Pack! dinner | 4:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- UAB BSB Back to School Jam | 5 PM – 8 PM
- WKNC DJ interest meeting | 6 PM – 7 PM
- NC State men’s soccer vs. Elon Phoenix | 7 PM – 9 PM
- Cardio Dance with live DJ | 8 PM – 9:15 PM
Thursday, August 20th
- Cycle Theme Ride: Summer Jams 2015 | 5 PM – 5:55 PM
- Beach volleyball bash | 7 PM – 8:30 PM
Friday, August 21st
- Service NC State blood drive | 8 AM – 7 PM
- RED Friday | 11 AM – 1 PM
- Trial classes with the dance program | 2:45 PM – 4 PM, 4:15 PM – 5 PM
- The Ultimate Group Fitness Class | 5:30 PM – 7 PM
Good Luck with Classes!
Stock up on the free stuff during Welcome Week — especially t-shirts. Come football games, you’ll be glad you did.
Know of a Wolfpack Welcome Week event that everyone should absolutely attend? Let me know in the comments!